[mythtv-users] Re: Comcast being coy?

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 16:22:08 UTC 2005

On Friday 07 October 2005 12:07, Marc Infield wrote:
> I went through the same thing with Comcast in the bay area. When I
> called and and pressed it with customer service person they said it
> seemed fine to get the HD box with firewire (motorola 6200 I think),
> but when he checked with his manager to make sure he came back said
> you had to have a HDTV or the service guy will not install it. I
> ended up going to the local store to swap out my flaky old box and
> they just asked which one I wanted the regular, hd for an extra $5/mo
> or DVR for an extra $10/mo. I don't know what the actual service guy
> does, but the counter people don't seem to care.
>
> I was also impressed that they only charge $5 more for their DVR, are
> they any good? I hope not, by the time you add up what I have
> invested in parts for all my Myth learning it would end being DVR
> rentals for about 10 years. :)

I've used the Motorola DVR's. they're not bad, but nowhere near MythTV, but
they are by far the better of the cable company dvr's. I had an SciAtl. box
at my old residence and it was a peice of junk, it did nothing correctly
except tune to the correct channels. My dad and a few friends in this area
have the Motorolas, which do all the hardware stuff correctly, and the
software isn't bad either, very limited, but it at least works.

time to look into getting this...