[mythtv-users] Need suggestion for Frontend only fanless solution

Chris Gackstatter Chris at coldspringdirect.com
Fri Oct 7 14:22:48 UTC 2005

After reading all this about the mini-mac and then someone talking about
water cooled I am convinced I made the right decision to go with the Roku
HD1000 photobridge.

 http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/index.php

Pros

-          it is relatively cheap -$299

-          it is fanless

-          build specifically for HDTV  but works fine with SDTV as well

-          The portion of MythTV that is already done works great (front end
record and watch live TV)

-          The roku comes with an remote that will control all of the
functions currently available for MythRoku (MythTv roku frontend)

-          Roku as a company is committed to open software and provides a
Roku SDK free of charge.

-          Runs other great apps for integrating your PC to your Home
entertainment center (ie: Slim Server and others)

Cons

-          it will only run mythTV as a front end

-          The MythTV port is not completely done

-          it is new and has a small but growing developer base for MythTV

I use this product every day, my young kids use this product, and we all
love it.

Chris

  _____