[mythtv-users] Re: (Brad) - New MythMusic Theme - 4 Bins

Ciaran ciaranj at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 10:35:40 UTC 2005

The ticket that's been opened that allows direct searching, goes
some-way to to 'remote-as-keyboard' approach to finding music.
However I assume that there is code elsewhere that can be re-used to
do this as it seems to work pretty well when hunting for programs,
automatically presents [abc1] for example when you press the number 1.
Better than a switch would perhaps be just being 'active' when in a
search/filter textbox? when in the lists or else where then the
numbers would behave as expected (the bins?)

My biggest gripe with MythMusic [don't get me wrong, I use it a lot!]
Is that editing playlists is way-way-to slow/unreactive/painful on my
system for me to use it, so I always select my music as and when I
want it from 'all music' [occasionally using smart-playlists].

What I would *really* like to be able to do is to 'queue' a track to
play next, this is the commonest thing I want to do really, is stack
up a chunk of tracks, and when they've been played through revert back
to whatever it was doing prior to the enqueing, either playlists, or
randomly jumping over my music, does thtat make sense ?

Cheers,
- Ciaran

On 06/10/05, Nick Parkinson <nickparkinson at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Nick,
>
> ### In particular, the Playlists (which includes an
> all-music "Library" listing), Genre,  Artist, and
> Album can easily be selected to narrow the list of
> Songs
> in the lower panel. This works incredibly well.
> ###
>
> These are the my exact intentions for future
> development.  If you select Genre's you will be able
> to filter out which Artists are visible using multiple
> combinations :  for example
>
> - Rock, ---> 70's, 90's
> - Blues ----> 60's, 70's
>
> #### For really long listings, I thought it would be
> beneficial if MythMusic let you use the remote as a
> keyboard to jump down the  list... 2 = abc, 3 = def, 4
> = ghi, etc.
> #####
>
> Thats a very good idea.  I intend to have a PageDown
> feature on the Artist tree to help scroll down
> quickly.  The number keys will, however, be assigned
> to Genre's, Burn CD etc as per the VB screenshot.  I
> guess there would have to be a 'switch'.  Perhaps
> pressing the RED key on the remote would switch the
> functionality of the 1-9 keys for this purpose.
>
> Alternatively I could use 1-9 as the key jumps as you
> describe and the put the other functions under a MENU
> that appears when you press M (or Menu on remote).
> This would also free up a bit of space!  hmmm...
>
> ### Smart playlists are amazing -- you can set a
> playlist that, for example, lists all songs by a
> particular artist which is updated automatically if
> you ever add more songs by that artist (basically
> these are playlists defined by rules instead of a
> fixed list).
>
> -- I agree and disagree at the same time.  I agree
> that this feature is crucial but my new design rids
> the need to even have playlists for albums/artists
> because these are automatically defined by the
> directory organisation.  For example if I copied a
> track into /myth/music/The Doors/Singles/ then that
> song would just show up in the right tree after a new
> 'scan'.  Albums will also be automatically sorted into
> track order.  So, in short, under my new system you
> only need to save a playlist if you want to make a
> 'compilation' of tracks from various albums/singles
> that you want to keep for future use.
>
> #### Ok, I've written enough. Sorry for the long
> post... I just got excited... I love the changes
> you've made so far. I can't wait to check it out!
>
> -- Glad to hear it!  Thanks for the feedback!

- Ciaran
(I now have far too many G-Mail invites available, anyone who wants
one, gets one)