[mythtv-users] Thanks to developers, plus a few tips from someone who finally got it working

Charles H. Chapman ccmail at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 5 16:51:02 UTC 2005

> IMHO even 802.11g is not really good and consistent enough for mythtv.
> Ultimately you want your TV to work like an appliance, ie it should always

> work and not need constant tinkering.  I've fought with using wireless for
my
> mythtv setup as well but I could not get a 100% consistent signal that had

> enough BW to not have hickups in the playback. I live in a moderately high

> density area where several neighbors in my building also have wireless,
> perhaps it would be different in the 'burbs but thats my experience.
> Paul

The router at home is a Linksys WRT54G and I'm using a Media MVP for my
front end, coupled with a Linksys Wireless Game adapter.  The wireless link
-was- somewhat flaky at first (often crashing the ethernet driver in the MVP
with overruns and remote PHY faults).  But using ethereal I noticed that the
maximum bit rate I needed for watching live TV or recorded programs was
about 10-11 Mb/s.  I found that limiting the wireless speed to something
less than the absolute maximum 54 MB/s for 802.11g (like 36 or 48 MB/s)
improved the reliability 100% -- I haven't had one single packet overrun or
remote PHY fault in the MVP since making that change and the picture is rock
solid.

Chuck