[mythtv-users] Channel Hopping

Lee mythtv at varga.co.uk
Tue Oct 4 23:20:03 UTC 2005

>There was a recent lengthy (and somewhat heated) thread in the dev list
>about this.  The technical reason for the delay is because the system
>has to do the following things when changing a channel on "Live TV":
>
>1) Tune the channel.
>2) Start encoding the feed.
>3) Store the file.
>4) Decode the file.
>
>Each of these steps takes a little time. If you don't do them, you lost
>the ability to pause or rewind Live TV, which is one of the sexy things
>about a PVR.

I agree with all of this but, part of this problem is the perception
that it takes a long time...
On my Tivo, using an external DVB-T box, the channel change takes about
the same time
as the Mythbox but the Tivo/DVB-T have something happening on the screen
all the the time,
which makes it seem faster...
I.e if Myth got on with changing the channel, but 1 second into the
process it popped up
'Changing channel' message on the OSD and then another 1 second later,
it popped up
'To Extreme Sports'... the delay would seem much shorter...
As opposed to the screen just freezing, sitting there for what seems
like an eon, before
suddenly changing channel...

Lee