[mythtv-users] Source for drives

Chris Trown ctrown at safe-mail.net
Tue Oct 4 14:31:18 UTC 2005

Andrew Close wrote:
> On 9/27/05, Mike Daugird <MDaugird at erdman.com> wrote:
>>are there any good sources for hard drives? I am recording at 2 gib/hr mpeg2 from my pvr 350 and I have been very happy with the way it has been working so far. My problem now is that I have run out of room on a 250 gig drive that formatted was 233gig.
>>It doesn't look like I am in need of a high performance drive, 10 Mbytes/sec looks like top end traffic.
>>are there any secret sources for large capacity drives?
>>I have been watching the sunday paper and that is how I got my 250 gig drive.
>>I checked newegg refurbished and they had a 300g but it was Sata.
>>thanks for your time and have a good day
> Mike (all),
> i don't know if you're still in the market for a new drive, but Fry's
> currently has a 300GB Seagate (IDE) on sale for $99.00.  it does
> require a rebate.
> http://www.outpost.com/entry?site=op:mfe093005&sku=4280824

      There deal webpages out there listing prices for products.  I check
http://www.edealinfo.com  They categorize the deals as well, making it
easier to find what you want.  There's also http://www.slickdeals.com

      If you know what you want, check www.pricewatch.com and

      As far as the Seagate drive, check out it's reliability first.
I've read quite a few negative reports from users.  That is a pretty
good price for that drive, though.  That seems to be good advice for any
of these new, cheap, very high capacity drives.  The reliability just
isn't there.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -- Benjamin