[mythtv-users] Large-scale myth farm

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Mon Oct 3 13:58:45 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 09:00:25AM -0400, Dewey Smolka wrote:
>  There is no restriction on the number
> of backends in a Myth cluster. Simply put, any machine that captures
> content is a backend, any machine that displays content is a frontend.
> The only requirement is that one backend needs to be configured as the
> master BE in order to control the MySQL part.

Perhaps this opens a line to future development: wouldn't it make sense
to impliment an automatic master selection mechanism (like HA IP
takeover or SMB master elections) so that all BE machines are the same?
As each BE came online, it would consult the SQL database to find out
which machine is master and join the pool as a slave.  If there was no
designated master or the designated master was not responding then the
slave(s) would negotiate or race to become master.

>  I believe transcoding works much
> the same way -- that each machine can be configured to transcode its
> own recordings, or the transcoding jobs can all be run by a dedicated
> machine or set of machines.

We've already seen a lot of posts asking for Myth to throttle the
transcoding to keep the load below 1.0.  If multiple BE machines are
recording to a network share then I suppose there will eventually be a
need to throttle transcoding to limit bandwidth as well (assuming CPU
speed continues to climb faster than network speed).