[mythtv-users] Large-scale myth farm

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 13:13:16 UTC 2005

> There seem to be a number of different DVB cards that people use. I
> persoanlly
> use the Nebula DVB card, though other people report success with the
> Avermedia
> 771 card. One major issue with DVB cards is that manufacturers do change
> chipsets with little or no notice but don't change their model numbers. If
> you
> buy any cards, budget for a few more and then keep them as spares. I would
> suggest you buy a standard card and stick with it.
>
> All the DVB cards record the digital stream directly from the broadcast.
> Not
> sure if this is MPEG2 or MPEG4. Please note that the file format saved is
> .NUV
> which seems to be difficult to reprocess.
>
> You can setup the system to record the EPG information provided by the DVB
> stream. This works pretty well, though only has a week in advance. I've
> never
> used Subtitiles so can't say if they work.

A DVB card simply saves the MPEG2 signal it receives, so the resulting file
is an MPEG2. The format is not .NUV, but the file extension .NUV is added
for consistency with the nupplevideo file an analog capture card would
create.

--
I probably still have a few (well, now a whole bunch) gmail invites.
Drop me a line (off list) if you'd like an account.