[mythtv-users] hdtv modelines

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Mon Oct 3 08:50:20 UTC 2005

> On 10/2/05, Marius Schrecker <marius at schrecker.org> wrote:
>>
>> If I define some lower res 16:9 lines can I use these to get special
>> zoom
>> ratios without impacting cpu usage? Is that better than using the aspect
>> ratios from within myth??
>

> Marius, I don't know about the scaling... I imagine that your video card
> is
> doing all that, scaling the image down more might take some load off the
> processor but it also might add some. It seems like the aspect ratio /
> screen resolution stuff in myth is more knowlageable about video modes
> than
> I am. Using the old <ctrl><alt><+> and <ctrl><alt><-> to change videomodes
> keeps the virtual desktop the same while adjusting your screen's
> resolution.
> I've fixed my resolution within myth to 1920x1080 and everytime I launch
> the
> frontend it adjusts everything (virtual desktop size included) to
> 1920x1080.
> Works like a charm. I've found that I have to force the 16:9 ratio in the
> myth settings for the videos to be displayed correctly.
>
> Now I just have to get Mplayer to understand that my monitor aspect ratio
>> has changed.
>>

> Use "-monitoraspect 16:9" switch on the command line.
>
> -Greg

Yep,

It was the <ctrl><alt><+> and <ctrl><alt><-> zaps I was thinking of, if I
could get some modelines set up to make sensible use of these with regard
to content in various formats...

The myth W aspect ratio cycle gives me a frozen bar along the bottom of
the screen (obscuring part of the live picture) in 4:3 zoom mode. I might
take a picture of this and post in a separate thread.

...so a 4:3 zoom <ctrl><alt><+> and <ctrl><alt><-> zap might be a good
temporary workaround for this until I can get it sorted out.

as for Mplayer, I put the monitoraspect=16:9 switch in
~/myhtv/.mplayer/config

Cheers
Marius