[mythtv-users] [OT] Remote Help

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Sun Oct 2 10:49:38 UTC 2005

> Sooo can anyone help me?

[Didn't get a copy to the list as I sent it from the wrong address!!]
These directions are specific to Gentoo due to the way that modules are
handled.

Create a file in /etc/modules.d called atiusb and put the following into it:

alias char-major-61-0 lirc_atiusb

then do a modules-update

Provided the USB sybsystem sees the device OK, hotplug should load the
driver (it does on my mceusb remote) - check by unplugging & plugging in
the device and use lsmod to see if the atiusb.ko module has loaded. If it
doesn't load then add the following to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

lirc_atiusb

so that it gets loaded at startup. You should also have a lirc_dev.ko
module loaded as well - that gets loaed automagically (provided you
remember to run depmod -a) when the made module is loaded.

You can check that its loaded OK by checking for the device entry.

# ls /dev/li*
/dev/lirc:
total 0
crw-rw----  1 root root 61, 0 Sep 30  2005 0

notice that lirc is a directory and the drivers get device names 0, 1,
2.... within it for udev.

Next, since you are using udev, you'll be creating a file in /etc/conf.d
called lircd that contains

LIRCD_OPTS="-d /dev/lirc/0 -o /dev/lircd"

This will ensure that lircd gets started with the correct device, i.e. the
one you listed above.

>From there you should be OK to carry on with the irw tests.

Good luck!

--