[mythtv-users] Optical encoder for MythTV scrolling

Itai Tavor itai at iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 2 09:04:07 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm designing a front panel for a MythTV frontend, which will include
buttons for basic actions (up/down, left/right, play, pause, menu,
enter). Instead of using up/down buttons for navigating in menus and
lists, I'd like to use a round knob connected to an optical encoder.
My problem is that I'm going to need software support...

If I just convert encoder pulses into key presses, turning the knob
fast will cause a lot of presses to be queued which means that
scrolling will continue after the knob is stopped. So I think that
specific support for the encoder  would be needed within MythTV.

Since I'm not at all familiar with the MythTV code, I was wondering
if anyone could theorize on whether this would be possible, and where
I should look. What I imagine would be the biggest problem is the
tight integration that would be required between the encoder event
generator and the event receiver - the new code will have to know
when the receiver actually acted on the event so it can avoid queuing
events. If this implies that specific support would be required in
each Myth plugin, quick abandonment of the whole idea would soon follow.

Hope this makes sense...

TIA, Itai