[mythtv-users] Cant get rid of the blue border lines (NVidia GForce 5200FX Card)

Justin Hornsby justin.hornsby2 at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 30 14:11:23 EST 2005

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Jonathan Tidmore wrote:
>
>> On 11/30/05, *Jos Hoekstra* <joshoekstra at gmx.net
>> <mailto:joshoekstra at gmx.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     Shardayyy schreef:
>>
>>     > Can't seem to get rid of what I have seen online as the "The
>>     blue line
>>     > problem", the blue border is on top and on the left side of the
>>     screen.
>>     >
>>     > I have also added this to my
>>     /home/mythtv/.kde/Autostart/myth-load.sh
>>     > file as suggested. (xvattr -a XV_COLORKEY -v 66048)
>>     >

>>     "xvattr -a XV_COLORKEY -v 0" I have here ;)
>>
> I highly recommend:
>
> xvattr -a XV_COLORKEY -v 1
>
> or some other positive value that's close to 0.  A value of 0 is black,
> and true black is very likely to be used on screen.  The value 1 or 10
> is "close to black" (close enough you won't see the line), but is
> different from 0 and far less likely to be used on screen.  Therefore,
> if you use 1/10, black won't be replaced with video.
>
> To see the effect, set the color key to 0 and start up an xterm with:
>
> xterm -fg yellow -bg black
>
> and put it on top of your video.  How's that for true, lightweight,
> transparent windows (it actually allows you to write code for Myth while
> watching recordings on Myth ;).  Now, set the color key to 1 and try the
> same.
>
> But, how often am I going to be working in an xterm on top of my video?
> OK, maybe not often, but if using a color key of 0, *anything* that's
> black will be affected (including black text on menus or in dialog
> boxes).  This is very easy to see in xine with
>
> video.device.xv_colorkey:0
>
> in your ~/.xine/config file.  You'll notice the video window leaking
> through your black menu text.
>
>> Using xvattr doesn't really get rid of the line, it just gets rid of
>> the blue by changing its color to blend in better with your TV
>> border.  The way I got rid of the line altogether was adjusting my
>> TVOverScan setting in xorg.conf so the video fit my TV better.
>

> Which doesn't get rid of the line--it just pushes it off the edge of
> your TV so you don't see it.  Also, this only works if you're using an
> NTSC/PAL output.  If using VGA/DVI/..., this won't work.
>
> Mike

I can heartily recommend nvidia-settings.. it has a handy slider that
you adjust the amount of overscan with.  You can then save the settings
that work best for you & set nvidia-settings to load when your desktop
comes up.

It helps if you have something to calibrate the display with, such as
the excellent Digital Video Essentials DVD - but it's easy to make your
own.  A typical overscan value used by programme makers (to ensure no
essential info is missed off-screen) is 10% (the other 90% of the screen
is called the 'safe area').  Just make a 720x576 (for PAL) or 720x480
(for NTSC) (or your desktop resolution) bitmap, then put lines at around
8 pixels laterally (10% ish) and 6 pixels vertically.  Adjust the
overscan until you can juuust see the lines you drew on the bitmap ;-)
This doesn't tend to work perfectly if the TV output isn't exactly
centred, but it helps a _lot_.

Regards,
Justin.