[mythtv-users] Re: [linux-dvb] DViCO Fusion HDTV 5 Lite status?

mrwester mrwester at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 12:57:24 EST 2005

On 11/28/05, Michael Krufky <mkrufky at m1k.net> wrote:

> mrwester wrote:
>
> > Hi-
> >
> > I've searched and am not 100% clear on the status of FusionHDTV 5 Lite
> > card.  If someone knows of a howto for these cards, please feel free
> > to point me in the right direction.  A general howto for these cards
> > might go a long way for me, but unfortunately I've not found one.   My
> > understanding is that it is supported in 2.6.14 kernels?  I've got the
> > 2.6.14 kernel from  FC4, and it appears to have support compiled in.
> > I'm trying to add the card to a mythtv setup that has a pvr-350 and
> > pvr-500 capturing well and dvi output via nvidia 5200.
>

> In 2.6.14, there is only analog support for FusionHDTV5 Lite.  Support
> for digital ATSC (QAM/VSB) has been added in 2.6.15.  2.6.15 is still in
> development, and there are some pretty nast bugs in it, although most
> are fixed in 2.6.15-rc3 (released tonight).
>
> The best route is to just install the new modules from cvs.
>
> howto-wiki: http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/How_to_build_from_CVS
>
> I usually just point people to the wiki, but because of the recent merge
> of the v4l + dvb cvs trees, I've included the detailed instructions
> above for your convenience.
>
> Here are the instructions:
>
> 1) Check-out the newly merged v4l-dvb cvs repository:
>
>   cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.linuxtv.org :/cvs/video4linux login
>   cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.linuxtv.org:/cvs/video4linux co v4l-dvb
>
> 2) Change into the v4l-dvb directory:
>
>   cd v4l-dvb
>
> 3) (optional) If you are recompiling the cvs modules against a different
> kernel, clean the tree and kernel version info:
>
>   make distclean
>
> 4) Compile the modules:
>
>   make
>
> 5) Install them: (as root)
>
>   make install
>
> 6) Remove the previous modules from memory:
>
>    modprobe -r bt878 && modprobe -r bttv
>
> (you might want to use "rmmod" instead of "modprobe -r" -- your choice)
>
> 7) Load up the new modules:
>
>    modprobe dvb-bt8xx
>
> For me, this loads up everything that I need... If it doesnt work for
> you, you might have to load them in order.....
>
>    modprobe bttv && modprobe bt878 && modprobe dvb-bt8xx
>
> ... or you can just reboot your machine, but you must remember to load
> up the dvb-bt8xx manual at boot-up, since this module will not load
> automatically, unless you set up your startup scripts appropriately.
>
> This should do it for you.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Krufky

Thanks to all who replied.  For the sake of maintaining useful archives, I'm
posting my results.   Michael's step by stem worked no problem.  Dmesg now
references DVB :

DVB: registering new adapter (bttv0).
DVB: registering frontend 0 (LG Electronics LGDT3303 VSB/QAM Frontend)...

and I can scan and find channels.  I'm really only looking for ATSC/QAM
support- I've not checked analog and really don't need it.  I should assume
that if I in the future upgrade to a production 2.6.15 kernel that it should
"just work"?  Now it's a matter of getting the card/channels configured
properly in mythtv...  I know there are a couple concurrent threads on the
mythtv list regarding HD3000 setup and it appears that I'm going through the
same process.  If anyone knows of specific caveats or howtos for the
FusionHDTV 5 Lite, I'm all ears.  Otherwise, thanks for the help to get me
this far.   Mike