[mythtv-users] I'm thinking of switching to windows :(

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Nov 30 12:38:21 EST 2005

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:07:42 -0500, Lee Koloszyc wrote:

>SixArm wrote:
>> Here's some troubleshooting info from my current Gentoo setup:
>>
>> mythtv ~ # uname -a
>> Linux mythtv 2.6.14-gentoo-r2 #5 SMP Sat Nov 26 20:44:25 PST 2005
>> x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
>>

>> ivtv0: Failed to load module tveeprom
>> ivtv0: Failed to load module tuner
>> ivtv0: Failed to load module saa7115
>> ivtv0: Failed to load module saa7127
>> ivtv0: Failed to load module msp3400
>> ivtv0: Failed to load module tda9887
>>
>> Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
>I had am running similar hardware (same MB and a 3000+ on 64 bit gentoo
>linux) and had this similar problem.   If I recall correctly it is some
>kind of conflict between the ivtv modules and the kernel ones.  I think
>I just moved/symlinked both places to the same directory.  I can't get
>into my box now, so I am unable to check.   Do a find for those files
>and you will probably find 2 copies.

You don't say what TV card hardware you are running. The HD3000 needs the
kernel tveeprom. The Hauppauge cards will use that module, but seem to
require their own  tuner modules (with '-ivtv' added to the names' and
aliased). And ivtv has to be loaded first. I suggest that you also upgrade
to the newest ivtv .5 version, which handles this better.

So you need:

alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv     #for your PVR500 tuner 1 or your
150/250/350
alias char-major-81-1 ivtv     # PVR500 tuner #2
#alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv    #make it use the kernel module
alias tuner tuner-ivtv
etc.

*******Now choose:***********
*******EITHER ********
alias char-major-81-2  cx8800  # for NTSC with the HD3000
                                               # and the card will show up
at /dev/video2
*****OR*****

install cx88-dvb                       # for ATSC with the HD3000
                                               # and the card will show up
at /dev/dvb/adapter0 with subfolders.
install cx88-blackbird               # this is an encoder module of some
sort

These 2 are mutually exclusive. You cannot do both at once.

You can however actively rmmod one set and modprobe the other into place
without re-booting... How mythtv would react is.... unknown.....Even if
you have distinct lineups for the 2 setups and 'install' both versions of
the card in mythtv-setup, you would have to play some very careful games
with the mysql database and priorities to not have mythv barf. It always
expects to have its specified input cards available and this setup
necessarily requires that one *not* exist.

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638