[mythtv-users] HELP: No TV after hw install of HD3000 (w/ PVR250 and FC4)

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 30 11:32:20 EST 2005

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> Blastzone wrote:
>>
>>> If you look at the capture card setup in mythtv-setup, myth is going
>>> to grab whatever is listed first when you choose to watch liveTV.
>>> So, if this screen (mythtv-setup, option 2) says 'DVB'  then
>>> 'PVR-250', it's going to grab the DVB card first, and time out.
>>

>> from what I've read, it is the order that was first placed in the
>> configuration, not the list in the configuration.
>> That doesn't seem right to me, though. I've deleted and re-entered
>> cards several times and I don't see the logic in it.
>

> Myth *always* uses the highest priority card first--for LiveTV or
> recordings.  This allows you to "prefer" recordings from better
> capture cards or on more powerful backends.
>
> However, for LiveTV, you can tell Myth to do exactly the opposite of
> its default--to use the lowest priority card first--by setting:
>
> Avoid conflicts between live TV and scheduled shows.
> If enabled, live TV will choose a tuner card that is less likely to
> have scheduled recordings rather than the best card available.
>
> At which point all recordings will be done with the highest priority
> card that's available and LiveTV will be done with the lowest-priority
> card that's available--so you won't have a conflict until all your
> cards are in use.
>
> If you have multiple cards with the same priority (i.e. you haven't
> specified priorities for your cards), the cardid is used for a
> tie-breaker (the card with the lowest cardid will have the highest
> "priority").  Note that cardid is not necessarily the same as your
> device number (i.e. it's possible to have /dev/video1 as cardid 0 and
> /dev/video0 as cardid 1).  The cardid is an auto-incrementing field in
> the database, so the cardid's will increase in order as you define new
> cards (and if you delete a card, higher cardid's remain untouched, so
> the list is not necessarily sequential).
>
> Hope this helps to figure out what's going on.  Since the original
> issue was trimmed, I may have gone OT, but at least wanted to clear up
> any confusion on the issues that seemed to remain.

thanks Mike. That's clears up a couple of issues. Is priority set by the
field "Input Preference" in mythtv-setup? If so, maybe the text should
change with the word "priority" in it.
How do you change the cardid? I'm sure it's in the archives someplace...
I searched. I'll look more... I imagine it can only be changed in the dB.