[mythtv-users] Re: A7N8X-E Deluxe Stability with HD2000 / FBUS, FDSR, IRQ Lockup

Preston Crow pc-mythtv05b at crowcastle.net
Tue Nov 29 14:30:01 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 08:41 -0800, John Freer wrote:
> JF REPLY IN CAPS

Normally caps are used for SHOUTING.

>  On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 11:56 -0800, John Freer wrote:

> ON A SIDE NOTE, HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH THE XMVC STUTTER WITH OSD?  THE
> BEST SOLUTION I'VE FOUND SO FAR IS TO ENTER THE DATABASE AND MAKE THE
> OSD FIELD NULL.  THAT WAY, NO OSD IS USED AND THERE'S NOTHING TO
> STUTTER.  I ACHIEVE SIMILAR PERFORMANCE BENEFITS USING XVMC, BUT
> GENERALLY DON'T USE IT BECAUSE OF STABILITY, ESPECIALLY WITH THE
> CORRUPTED STREAMS I'M GETTING BECAUSE OF THE FBUS ERRORS.

I don't have that problem.  I'm running with a fairly recent SVN version
of Myth, and I think that problem has been fixed.

> > I'm running FC3 with 2.6.12 / 18.1 mythtv. All dist-upgraded to the
> > latest at-testing.
>
> I'm running 2.6.14.2 with DVB drivers from CVS. All with the latest
> Gentoo stuff.
>
> ANY REASON TO BELIEVE I'D GET BETTER RESULTS WITH 2.6.14 THAN 2.6.12?

Not that I know of.  I needed a newer kernel to run the CVS DVB drivers
to support the HD-5000.

> Ideally, the cards would have a large enough buffer on them to allow
> for
> bus contention, and the driver would make full use of it. I believe
> that the video4linux driver for the HD-2000 didn't have glitches even
> without the hdparm settings on the PATA drive, so it may be something
> that improved drivers can solve.
>
> MAYBE, BUT I AM STARTING TO GET THE FEELING THAT THIS MIGHT BE AN
> ASUS / CHIPSET SPECIFIC ISSUE.  I BELIEVE THAT SOME OTHERS ARE
> RUNNING SIMILAR CONFIGS WITHOUT THE STABILITY PROBLEMS.  AT THIS
> POINT I WOULD GLADLY TRY A DIFFERENT MOBO IF SOMEONE COULD SUGGEST
> ONE.

I expect that a different chipset would correct the issues I'm having
with my SATA drive.  If I replace my motherboard, I'll also get a
different CPU, and a faster CPU might help hide the problem.  (I would
love to see a site that lists lots of CPUs by performance and heat, so I
can see what would be an improvement over my 2500+ without running
hotter.)

--PC