[mythtv-users] QAM and ATSC HDTV on the Same Card

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 16:10:06 EST 2005

On Sunday 27 November 2005 15:37, David Ellis wrote:
> Hey Steve, thanks for the note on the combiner (I needed the right magical
> name to find it at radioshack).
>
> As for why I would do it? In Canada (unlike the US), the CRTC (the CDN FCC)
> does not mandate that OTA channels be broadcast in the clear. As a result
> the HD channels I want are not clear transmitted (they are 100% encrypted).
> However about 40 channels are clear transmitted on QAM (SD but good
> channels with good reception). I wanted a way to have one HD3000 receive
> both. This may work (I'll try it out), but I may need a "filter" to block
> some of the Cable stations that overlap with the HD channels. Lets see what
> I can find on Ebay.
>
> David

Ah, damn encryption/drm!

do two scans and build two channels.conf files, one for the ATSC channels and
one for the QAM channels and see if any of the frequencies overlap. Filtering
will suck, as you have to create a filter for the specific frequencies you
don't want, it would prbly be easier to just have to cards... hopefully you
can combine without filtering.

--
Steve