[mythtv-users] QAM and ATSC HDTV on the Same Card

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 15:56:21 EST 2005

On Sunday 27 November 2005 15:37, John P Poet wrote:
> On 11/27/05, Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 27 November 2005 13:38, David Ellis wrote:
> > > I have a HDTV Antenna (oriented correctly - works for 7+ channels), and
> > > a Digital QAM Provider (100% working, channels decoded).
> > >

> > > What I'm looking to-do is potentially combine both signals so the same
> > > HD3000 card can tune both ATSC and QAM_256 digital cable. Are their any
> > > sort of injectors or the like people have used, or is it an either or
> > > scenario?
> > >

> > > David
> >
> > First, why? you should be receiving all the OTA channels on your QAM
> > line, from either a better positioned antenna or directly from the
> > network digitally (depending on your cable company).
>
> Bit off topic, but you might find the following interesting....
>
> In Albuquerque, only 2/3 of the stations available OTA are also
> available via Comcast cable.  In one case, it is because our local CBS
> affiliate wants Comcast to pay more money for the HD feed.  Comcast,
> here, has refused to pay them.  That same CBS affiliate does not even
> send out DD5.1.

I guess this proves that the FCC OTA guidelines to not apply to HD signals.
It also proves your cable company still has many analog channels left. IIRC 1
analog station is enough room for 4 full bitrate HD channels or something
like 20 DTV channels.

> Also, according to our local PBS station's tech manager, our local
> Comcast cable compresses down HD material so they can fit more
> stations in the bandwidth.  If you want the full, uncompressed,
> bitrate being sent out by the network, you have to get it OTA.

I've heard people say this, but never found definitive proof that the cable
companies do this. So far its all been conjecture. If its true, I'd love to
see some proof.

> As a side note, our local WB station sends out a bitrate reduced
> version of the network HD broadcasts, so they can transmit an
> additional 5 sub-channels.  This is part of their agreement with
> USDTV.  So, even OTA may not net you a full bitrate HD picture!

haha, thats really quite strange, I wonder what those oh-so important 5
subchannels are that need to be on the same frequency....

> Our local CBS affiliate has been bought by another company, so things
> may improve there, but that other company also has a deal with USDTV,
> so things may get worse instead.

so weird... FOX got it right, send the HD signal as it should be to the
affiliate and only require them to rebroadcast, requireing the locals to do
all the work only provides shoddy service to consumers. I think UPN and WB do
this as well, not sure though....

--
Steve