[mythtv-users] New HDD for Mythtv 5400 or 7200 rpm

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Nov 26 16:23:56 EST 2005

Johnathon Meichtry wrote:

> I agree, if its for a backend go for speed speed speed.  Get the drive
> with the fastest RPM, the largest cache and fastest interface you can
> afford e.g. 7200rpm SATA.  If possible get the fastest PCI-X SATA card
> you can find and you'll break the PCI bottleneck.

IMHO, more gigs are far more important than fast drives.  Spend money on
space, not on speed.  (Also, RPM's and cache are only two of about 5
hard drive parameters that are required to determine the hard drive
performance characteristics)

MPEG-2 streams don't take much bandwidth.  A 10.8Mb/sec stream (the
maximum allowed by the DVD specification--including audio and video) is
1,350,000 bytes per second (=1318KiB/sec=1.29MiB/sec).  Since the
PVR-x50's electronics will hit the quality ceiling far before that kind
of bandwidth is required, you'll most likely use something like
4-6Mb/sec for "high-quality" recordings, meaning you'll using at most
60% of that, or about 0.75MiB/sec.  If you use MPEG-4, you need even
less bandwidth.

Even for high-definition, bandwidth isn't a problem.  High-definition
recordings seem to be between 4-10GiB/hr (averaging about 7GiB/hr), so
taking the worst-case scenario (10GiB/hr), we have
2982616bytes/sec=2912KiB/sec=2.85MiB/sec.  At this rate, you should be
able to write several high-def streams concurrently even with "slow"
hard drives.

Make sure it's UDMA66 or above (and you're unlikely to be able to find a
new drive today that's not) and that you have an 80-wire IDE cable (if
using PATA) and you'll be fine.

Mike