[mythtv-users] Xebian and 2.6 for mythtv

C. R. Oldham cro at ncacasi.org
Sat Nov 26 14:31:57 EST 2005

Greetings,

>From the lists I seem to have gleaned that some people are running a 2.6
kernel on an Xbox with Xebian.  I managed to get the kernel compiled, but
it's not able to mount the root filesystem.  I get

Cannot open root device "ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2" or
unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

On a "regular" linux install I could fix this (e.g. lilo or grub needs
better options) but I don't understand and can't find docs for the xbox boot
process.

Has anyone been successful with a 2.6 kernel and Xebian?  How do you get it
booted?  I have Xebian installed on a native ext2 filesystem (drive "F") on
my Xbox and did have it running under 2.4.  It's just not quite fast enough
for mythtv.  I see almost imperceptible stuttering when playing DVDs with
Xine, and I was hoping that the better IO layer in 2.6 would get rid of
that.

--cro