[mythtv-users] No DVD video until I transcode something

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Nov 26 09:18:22 EST 2005

I've recently installed xine-lib to enable DVD playback. Before xine,
I got purple/green blocks for video. Now I've got a strange issue
that feels like a permissions problem, but I'm not sure where to check.

When I reboot the machine (something I've been doing a lot more than
I like, lately), and I immediately try to RIP or watch a DVD, I get
the purple/green blocks. This problem goes away whenever I transcode
anything. So after a reboot, I need to record some live tv for a
couple of seconds, transcode it (which makes me lose audio for some
other reason), then go back to watch DVD and it's fine.

It's not a huge deal since I shouldn't be rebooting very often, but
these kinds of puzzles bug me until I figure them out. Any ideas?

-brad