[mythtv-users] Rundown on Videos

Thom Paine painethom at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 08:07:06 EST 2005

> That's right (About the NFS), what format did you rip the DVD's in,
> and what are you trying to play them back in? (Missing Codecs if in
> AVI DivX/XviD format, missing DeCSS if you ripped to .iso?)

I ripped them in Perfect for now, but I'm sure the problem is that it
can't mount the file as it's stored on the MBE and not locally on the
frontend. They play no problem on the MBE. I'm sure most of the codecs
are available, and when I checked the /video/videos directory, it
ripped it as a .VOB. I just picked up another DVD for $6 at Walmart
and I tried ripping that on Excellent, to see the file size and
quality difference.

> You can use folders, and if you enable the "Gallery View Browses
> folders" (Or whatever it's titled, something similar to that), it'll
> browse the files and folders in a proper manner as you'd expect.

That good, thanks.

> You need to go into the "Video Manager", and from the menu for each
> recording, go to "Search IMDB". This'll do it's best to get the info
> and poster from IMDB. If that doesn't work, you can find the movie on
> IMDB yourself, and enter the number (without the "tt", so "01234567"
> for movie ID "tt01234567", find that ID in the URL) into the "Manually
> get from IMDB" option.

Alright. I didn't experiment much with theis yet as the remote doesn't
want to work, but the MBE seems to run very well. It's stable and
sends recordings out to frontends with no problems.

> If you want the best combination of redundancy and speed, use RAID
> 0+1. This will, however, only give you 600G of space, rather than the
> 900G RAID 5 gives you.

Raid 0+1 is two drives striped together (600G) and then mirrored on
the other two drives? Maybe I should get a cheap raid 5 card with 5 or
6 SATA ports on it for better performance?

> Personally, I'd not use RAID 0 on it's own unless you are either
> absolutely certain of the uality of the drives, or you really don't
> care about what's stored on them.

Yes, the quality of hard drives is questionable these days. Thats why
I wanted to use raid.

--
-=/>Thom