[mythtv-users] Opengl

Chris Trown ctrown at safe-mail.net
Tue Nov 22 19:53:07 EST 2005


Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> On 11/22/2005 4:17 PM Michael T. Dean wrote:
> 
>> Raphael Pooser wrote:
>>
>>> Rasmus B. Nielsen wrote:
>>>
>>>> what is the problem when I try to use opengl in music-player or in 
>>>> the gallery my box freezes, and uses 100% of CPU. But I have 
>>>> installed opengl and it works (I have 250 FPS in glxgears,before I 
>>>> added DRI to X11, I had 54 FPS) ?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> what kind of card are you using?  Do you have the nvidia binary 
>>> drivers or ati binary drivers installed
>>
>>
>>
>> correctly
>>
>>> , etc?
>>
>>
>>
>> I've seen many cases where they did not install correctly using binary 
>> packages because links weren't properly created or some other "little" 
>> thing like that.
> 
> 
> 
> And so how does one tell if his nvidia drivers are installed 
> "correctly"?  I'm running nvidia drivers built via portage on a Gentoo 
> 2.6.13 system.  Yet I don't think I have any video acceleration as 
> visualizations seem to "stutter" slightly and my CPU is at 100%.  This 
> is on an Athlon XP 2800.
> 

      Look at your xorg.conf file.  Usually in /etc/X11.  You should see 
something like this in the file somewhere:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Videocard0"
	Driver		"nvidia"
#	Driver		"nv"
	VendorName	"Rosewill"
	BoardName	"NVIDIA GeForce 5200FX"
	Option		"NoDDC"
EndSection

      The *key* is that Driver is nvidia, *not* nv.

      Also, take a look at the X log file.  Usually in /var/log.  Look for:

(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
	compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.7676
	Module class: XFree86 Video Driver

      Actually, looking at the log file should have been the first thing 
to check.  Oh well.

Chris...


-- 
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -- Benjamin
Franklin


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list