[mythtv-users] PVR-350 and PVR-500

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 10:01:50 EST 2005

On 11/22/05, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the responses. Will I be able to use PIP with the 350 and the
> 500 together through the 350's TV-out? I think that will seal the deal for
> me.

I could be wrong, but my answer to that would be "yes and no". While it is
technically possible to do that, it wouldn't work very well. TVOut on the
350 is done in a way as to make mpeg video output directly. Picture in
picture (I believe) requires normal XV, which is done via framebuffer on the
350, which is MUCH slower than the mpeg decoding. So basically, you CAN do
picture in picture, but it may be choppy or slow, your results may vary.

I should note that this answer only takes into account the hardware
limitation, not the mythtv software limitations. Picture in Picture may well
be coded in such a way as to make it difficult to use the PVR output to
accomplish it, so you may even be stuck using framebuffer for all output,
which I would say is a Bad Idea, and you'd be better off switching to a
normal nvidia output.

- Jeff