[mythtv-users] Capturing 5.1 audio

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 03:25:06 EST 2005

Steve Adeff wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 November 2005 03:09, Bob wrote:
>>Steve Adeff wrote:

snip

>>>how much CPU would it take to capture and encode video from a non-PVR
>>>capture card so that it can be muxed with the audio from a soundcard? I
>>>ask because I happen to have an older WinTV card laying around. I'd even
>>>be willing to accept a lossless capture format to allow for easy live TV
>>>with AC3, with the ability to convert to XviD later if I decided to keep
>>>the recording.
>>
>>Lossless compression tends to be more cpu intensive than
>>lossy, particularly if your aiming for respectable compression ratios,
>>if your not even SD content is going to take up a *lot* of space very fast.
>>
>>As for how much CPU to capture from a frame grabber look at
>>http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1
>
> So now I just have to see i its possible to capture a 5.1 stream? If so then
> its just a matter of getting MythTV to use a BTTV device for video input and
> the 5.1 input for audio right?

I think this obsession with 5.1 sound isn't entirely healthy, I for one,
only have two ears.

What is your source? If it's analogue then chances are it doesn't have
5.1 sound anyway so there's not much point recording it, if it's digital
then you're better off trying to cap the digital stream directly in some
way (as with DVB) so you don't go digital -> analogue -> digital and
incur the quality penalty involved with this.

--
tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 34132, rev = J158,
tveeprom: tuner = Philips FM1236 MK3 (idx = 58, type = 4)