[mythtv-users] Very Newbie DVB Question

Christopher McEwan christopher.mcewan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 08:11:00 EST 2005

On 11/20/05, Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20/11/05, Toby Weston <toby.weston at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > Sorry to ask the obvious but I was hoping someone could point me in the
> > direction of a very basic overview of DVB-T card setup (UK Nova-T), I'm
> > running Fedora 4 and will be using the latest Myth TV from atrpms.
> >
> > I've been following the excellent Wilsonet guide and following the links
> on
> > DVB but I can't seem to put the pieces together :\ for example, does the
> > latest 2.6 kernels have DVB support? Am I likely going to need to do
> that
> > black magic kernel patching? The other guide I've been looking at is
> > http://www.ethics-gradient.net/myth/mythdvb.html (as
> > mentioned on the offical docs) but I'm confused about older 2.4(?)
> kernels.
> >
> > I must sound very confused!
>
> The cx88_dvb module should work straight out of the box with a FC4
> install (I installed a new box a few weeks back with 2 cx88_dvb cards
> and they worked immediately. Just try 'modprobe cx88_dvb' and check
> the /var/log/messages ouput to see if it's recognised and installed
> the card.
>
> I'm pretty sure the cx88_dvb driver that the 90002 model of the Nova-T
> uses has been in the kernel since 2.6.10 (I know I had to recompile a
> -rc version of 2.6.10 to get my Nova-T working (still haven't upgraded
> that machine yet!)
>
> Good luck,
> Nick

Same, ive got 2 x 90002 Hauppauge Nova-T DVB cards running on a FC4 box and
it worked without any problems, you can check to see if its loaded at
startup by using

dmesg | grep cx88

or by using

lsmod | grep cx88

to see if the modules are loaded. The only difficult but that I havent
bothered doing because it seems like too much hassle is to get the IR
working on the 90002 cards.. not all the buttons work etc.

Luckily I also have a PVR 250 which does the job nicely although I would
like to retire this card at somepoint.. anyone have a good 90002 IR guide ?

--
Regards,

~CM