[mythtv-users] ATSC Station Changed Its Name

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 17:18:59 EST 2005

On 11/20/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> Mercury Morris wrote:
>
> > A local station, WCCO-TV, changed its "Name" in the Over-The-Air (OTA)
> > data.
> > Previously, it was "WCCO-DT", now it's "Service".
> >
> > When this change occurred, all the recordings scheduled for WCCO-DT
> > were "lost".
> > That is, they did not show up in Upcoming Recordings, and were NOT
> > recorded.
> >
> > To fix this, I ran mythtv-setup, added the XMLTVID to the "new"
> > channel called "Service",
> > and re-ran mythfilldatabase. Now, I will reschedule the missing
> > programs to be recorded
> > on "Service", and they should be recorded OK.
> >
> > How would you have handled such a Station Name Change? Or, how have you
> > handled such a Station Name Change in the past?
>
> Haven't done it myself, but shouldn't you rename "Service" to something
> useful (like "WCCO-DT") and make sure you run mythfilldatabase without
> the "--do_channel_updates" option (so it doesn't overwrite your "custom"
> channel names)?
>
> > Maybe a better question is, Can the loss of scheduled recordings be
> > prevented?
>
> Not after the fact. ;)
>
> Before the fact, you could use Record All on Any Channel...
>
> Thanks for your answers.

I had not thought of renaming - because I don't know how. And, I am afraid
that if I DO rename, that whatever I chose for the new name will again be
ignored by mythfilldatabase. And that will lead to the same undesirable
result - all the Upcoming Recordings on that channel will be dropped,
failing to be recorded.

As for Record All on Any Channel... I have chosen a different way to have a
backup. By that, I mean some extra assurance that the programs WILL be
recorded. Two backup systems, a separate MythTV system and a VCR are also
progammed to record the shows, although in Standard Definition, not HDTV.

I am still mystified as to how and why "Service" even appeared, in the
database, in the listings, etc. The help text for mythfilldatabase says that
--do_channel_updates is off by default, which I heretofor assumed was true.
Now, I'm not so sure. I do know that I do not specify --do_channel_updates
in the command string used to get new listings from data Direct. There
doesn't seem to be an opposite option - one that would make sure that
channels are NOT updated.

It isn't rocket-science to see that changes like this at WCCO-TV are very
likely to happen again - and soon. I mean, come on WCCO Chief Engineer!
"Service"?? You can't be serious!! It was late Friday when the change was
made and we all know how much (Software) Engineers like to make a big change
to their system, JUST BEFORE they take off for the weekend!

--
MM