[mythtv-users] OT:? GeForce MX4000 and TV Out oddness

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 20 15:03:09 EST 2005

SpEnT wrote:

>>1080i is an input signal type.  Any HD-capable set (i.e. HDTV or HD
>>monitor) can accept 1080i input because it's one of the 18 mandatory
>>formats required by the ATSC specification (
>>http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/what_is_ATSC.html ).
>>
>>Assuming it's a fixed-pixel, high-definition display (i.e. DLP, LCD,
>>...), the TV will either be a 720p or a 1080p.  If it was purchased
>>before July 2005, it's definitely a 720p.  If it's a brand new model, it
>>might be a 1080p display.  However, if it is a 1080p display, you may
>>not be able to use DVI (mine only supports 1920x1080 via VGA--the DVI
>>input will only take 1080i).
>>
>>If it's a CRT, you might be better off sending it a 1080i signal, but
>>since it takes a digital input (i.e. DVI), it sounds like it's a digital
>>display type (=not a CRT).  Also, 1080i might actually work better over
>>component than over DVI.
>>

>The model is a Toshiba 57H85C Rear projection TV. So far looking in
>the specifications all I can find is suggested scan rates for HDMI
>Input (1080i, 480p, 480i, and 720p) but nothing saying what the TV
>actualy "is" (1080p or 720p). I guess I'll know for sure when I get
>the cable if it actually works or not. If not I'll try a VGA cable.
>Would you run VGA-HDMI or DVI-Component? or is it all dependant on the
>signal? ... I'm still pretty green when it comes to this aspect of
>computer based home entertainment :-) ... thanks again!!

According to Toshiba that's a 540p/1080i TV (CRT projection).

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=2&group=6&product=4774&category=

So, go with the HDMI cable and send it a 1080i (1920x1080 interlaced) or
a 540p (1920x540) signal (not 720p).  It's probably not worth trying the
component inputs--especially if you like the picture you get with the
HDMI input.  Also, you should probably check out Jarod Wilson's HDTV
section since (at the time), he was using a 1080i/540p HDTV (
http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/mythhd.php ).

Mike