[mythtv-users] [OT] ProjectX user guide

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 12:36:48 EST 2005

On Sunday 20 November 2005 08:16, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Phill Edwards wrote:
> >Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a user guide for
> >ProjectX? The only one I can find is in German. I'm trying to figure
> >out how you use it to cut pieces out of video.
>
> http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/DigiTV/projectx-fullguide.htm
>
> Mike

not a very good guide as it uses an old version....
http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/DigiTV/projectx-fullguide.htm
I'll try and explain some of the newer one.

First theres an area at the bottom of the main window that shows your input
mpeg files. If you have more than one you can concatenate them into the
output mpeg stream. It won't do any transcoding, just basically do a "cat
a.mpg b.mpg > out.mpg" kinda thing. next to the ordering list is a "+" and
"-"these are the quick add and remove buttons for mpeg, there are arrows to
reorder as well.

Once you have these set the next area of concern is the video display area.
Underneath are some arrows (I don't have the program in front of me now, so
I'm going by memory). The inner two are for moving one GOP frame at a time
(the smallest jump you can make in an mpeg without transcoding), then next
one is for a slightly larger jump, and then again a slighter larger jump, the
furthest out ones are for jumping between cutpoint points.

Cutpoints. Next to the arrows for jumping around in videos are a + and - for
adding and removing cutpoints. Adding two cutpoints will turn the area in
between green, any green area area will be processed and output. Multiple
Green areas will be output in one final output file. The right side along the
video has two tabs, one shows the cutpoint images and IIRC the other tab
shows a list of the cutpoints. Here you can also save your cutpoints to a
file for later use (or like if you realize you screwed up, instead of redoing
all the cutpoints you can load the file and easily make changes).

This is the basics to the video "editing" features. One you've got this done
you can open the processing window, this will let you begin the process of
processing the stream and choose the output format. If you have one method
you always use and you've saved it to your settings file and you load that
settings file everytime (I created an alias in bash that does this for me)
you can use the "quick" button which will use the saved settings to process
the file.

Hope this helps.

Steve