[mythtv-users] NUV to DVD scripts for PVR-xxx owners

Mike Frisch mfrisch at isurfer.ca
Fri Nov 18 11:10:15 EST 2005

I have created two potentially useful scripts for PVR-xxx owners for
extracting MythTV-recorded .nuv files and re-muxing them to
DVD-compliabnt video.

NOTE: this script will *NOT* work for MythTV recordings not created by a
hardware MPEG-2 recorder.  There are scripts that already exist for
that.

Usage:

Use 'dumprecorded.pl' to get a list of current MythTV recordings, and
then pass the nuv filename to 'makempg.sh' to create a DVD-compliant
MPEG-2 file.

NOTE: dumprecorded.pl will have to be edited to use your MySQL database
settings.  See comments within the file.

./makempg.sh myfile.nuv outfile.mpg

'makempg.sh' needs ProjectX as well as mplex.

On my system, /usr/local/bin/projectx is a shell script:

--- cut here ---

#!/bin/sh
java -jar /home/mfrisch/temp/ProjectX_Source_0.90.2/ProjectX.jar $*

--- cut here ---

After outfile.mpg is created, it's easy to create a DVD image using:

mkdir dvd

dvdauthor -o dvd outfile.mpg

dvdauthor -o dvd -T

mkisofs -dvd-video -o myiso.iso dvd/

rm -rf dvd

This procedure will put one recording per DVD and not bother with
chapters, a menu, and the other frills that I don't need.

Hope this might be useful to somebody.  Feedback, modifications, etc are
appreciated.

Thanks to Steve Adeff et al. for their assistance.