[mythtv-users] Quick boots (was OT: suspend to disc....)

Jules Gosnell jules at coredevelopers.net
Fri Nov 18 09:50:33 EST 2005

Jules Bean wrote:

> Jules Gosnell wrote:

Hi Jules,

Thanks for your interest.

Next time i boot the machine, I will make a note of the messages - i
will recognise the ones that it usually hangs on because they are
indelibly etched onto my brain :-) I did, of course try re-rebooting and
re-re-re...booting - all without success.... The kernel comes up OK,
then it begins ticking things off its list and hangs as it does on of
these things - I'll get back to you - probably tonight.

I've already disabled a number of services, simply to save memory and
cpu, but I'm sure that this has had a a favourable impact on boot time
as well. Ultimately though, I think a resume-from-disc has to be faster
than the equivalent cold-start from disc, doesn't it ? If the service
set is the same....

Jules

>> time I offered some feedback on this one...
>>
>> So, limited success...
>

> I'm very interested in this. I'm definitely going to want to get
> something like this going.
>
> > I have about a 1 in 2 chance of
>
>> having the next boot sequence hang (usually whilst trying to set up
>> local filesystems or something around here) forever.
>

> Ok, this is a bit odd. Obviously you've tried rebooting a few more times?
>
> It sounds like your boot records (lilo/grub or mbr) have been
> corrupted, which really shouldn't be happening. Or.. your report isn't
> quite clear to me. Actually it's getting past the linux boot stage
> into the usermode startup sequence, it sounds like. I think we'd need
> to know *exactly* where it was freezing.
>
>> Thanks for all the help that I have been given with this one - much
>> appreciated.
>

> There is another approach, btw. Rather than trying to get
> suspend-to-disk working, just try to get linux to boot faster.
>
> The default kernels supplied with modern distros quite deliberately do
> all kinds of hardware probing at boot, which is very slow. With a
> custom configured kernel I think you can probably cut this down quite
> a bit. It's something I'm going to look in to when I get my machine
> built (most parts arrived now but still waiting on box/cpu/powersupply).
>
> Then the second phase of the boot-up, after the kernel is done, is
> traditionally done in a very inefficient, simplistic, serial fashion.
> This can very easily be optimised for a single-purpose box, lots of
> services are not necessary.
>
> I did a few google searchs for 'linux fast boot' and so on. There some
> stuff out there. I will look around more carefully when I get to this
> point. I'd be interested to hear any other comments.
>
> Jules

crystallises out around it."

 * Jules Gosnell
 * Partner