[mythtv-users] How to record LiveTV?

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 11:01:11 EST 2005

> >An even better solution would be to do exactly what VCRs have done for
> >the last 10 years - the record button activates "OTR" for 30 minutes,
> >and each additional press adds another 30 minutes up to some maximum
> >value, at which it resets to 30 minutes. A different key could be used
> >to stop the recording, or it could be stopped using the existing menu
> >entries in the manage recordings or watch recordings menus.
> >

> Bruce Markey is 40 days ahead of you...
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/7401

I think I like the 30 minute increments better. The change listed there says
that
it sets it for 1 hour, and you have to go out and into the manual recording
settings
to change the end time. Not very intuitive, but it is a quick fix to make it
work. I think
the best case would be to have the record button pop up a dialog in any case
that either
A). shows the program, channel, and duration that it is going to record, and
you hit "enter"
to accept it. or
B). shows the channel number and since there is no program info, just shows
the duration
and lets you type in or use arrow keys to alter it before hitting "enter" to
accept it.

I think this is probably a good idea anyway, to prevent accidental
recordings (most newer home
electronics require you to hit record twice, and even old tape decks made
you hit play and record
at the same time). I'd like to have that verification to know what it is I
am recording, too, just to
make sure it knows that I am recording the show I want to, like if it's 7:58
and I hit record, I'd like
the visual cue to say "record this 8-9pm show?" instead of "record the last
two minutes of credits from
the show that's on right now?"