[mythtv-users] Interesting potential lightweight frontend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 17 10:39:03 EST 2005

Steve Adeff wrote:

>On Wednesday 16 November 2005 03:23, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>

>>Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>>Are they using H.264 for high-definition stuff?  If so, a lot of
>>>European MythTV users are going to have to spend a whole lot of money
>>>on processors...
>>>
>>>Mike
>>>
>>H.264 will be used for HD yes, also for SD, though likely that will be
>>on IP (telco's) and over DVB-T. On SAT i expect the combination of
>>DVB-S2 with H.264.
>>
>>Myth will also have to learn the new types that have been approved to
>>signal H.264 in DVB. Currently it ignores H.264 broadcasts as non-TV
>>broadcasts (Yes, H.264 broadcasting has started).
>>
>>Rudy
>>
>>P.S. DVB-S2 PCI cards haven't hit the market yet....
>>

>Dish and DirecTV are moving to H264 as well, I know they both recently sent up
>satelites for using mpeg4 and many expect the switch by the end of next year.

But that just means that DISH and DirecTV will be spending a lot of
money on processors* (or, more likely, satellite customers will be
paying a lot of money for new receivers ;).  Since DISH and DirecTV
don't allow dumping of the stream (i.e. via firewire), the only output
from their receivers will be RF Modulated/S-Video/Composite (for NTSC)
or Component/DVI/HDMI (for ATSC)--which means Myth will never see the
H.264, so Myth users won't need to worry.  :)

Mike

*Actually, they'll probably get dedicated H.264 decoders, which will be
much cheaper than Athlon X2 4800+ processors.  The 4800+ should come
close to being able to decode 1080i60 (1920x1080 at 30 frames/sec (60
fields/sec)) in software in real-time, although I still don't think it
will quite make it.  Maybe the 5000+ will...