[mythtv-users] Ditch FC4 for Linux?

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Wed Nov 16 19:43:27 EST 2005

match at ece.utah.edu wrote:
> On 16 Nov 2005 at 5:17, Blake wrote:
>>OK, I've spent the night trying to get FC4 running on my would-be MythTV
>>box, but there's some problem with the ethernet card (Via Rhine II, on the
>>motherboard).
>
> Why don't you just go buy a $10 ethernet card that's supported, and be done with
> it?

via-rhine isn't exactly an oddball NIC type.  There are tons of systems that
use 'em (mostly based on VIA chipsets of one sort or another).  Assuming that
the hardware hasn't been connected to an Etherkiller, it should work.  If it
doesn't, that would indicate a deficiency of the distro in question.

The built-in NIC in my old notebook (an HP Pavilion XF335) is the same type,
and it works just fine with Gentoo.

  _/_
 / v \ Scott Alfter