[mythtv-users] Front end/Back end functionality

Doug Hall doughalldev at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 16:40:38 EST 2005

My plan is to have a tower PC back end in my bedroom (to help counter
my wife's snoring ;-) and a front end XBox or Hauppauge MediaMVP in
the den, as the front end.

I expect that I can connect my cable TV to the back end (obviously),
and yet still control everything (including pausing live TV) from the
front end. Is this correct? Also, if I go with the XBox, what
advantages will I have over the MediaMVP? Will I, for example, be
able to decode DVDs on the XBox, and have the resulting files stored
on my back end? Is there any advantage to having the hard drive in
the XBox? For those of you using the MediaMVP as a front end, how is
that working out for you?

Thanks for all responses!
Doug