[mythtv-users] No Sound in MythTV on WinTV PVR-350 card

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 03:29:04 EST 2005

On 15/11/05, Jacob Steenhagen <jacob at steenhagen.us> wrote:

> I've been working on setting up a MythTV installation based on the
> instructions at http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php.
>
> My PC is an Old Dell Dimension.
> Processor: PIII 600
> RAM: 224 MB
> HDA: 20GB; /boot, /, SWAP
> HDB: 20GB; /video
> Video Card: ATI Rage 128 (only used during setup)
> NIC: 3Com 10/11; Netgear 802.11b
> Capture Card: Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350
> OS: Fedora Core 4; TWM (no KDE or GNOME)
>
> As you can see, this is an older machine (though I've seen success
> stories on far less) but it's mostly an experiment right now. If I can
> get everything working, I'll probably upgrade hardware down the road.
>
> I've got the machine mostly working (X/MythTV, Video, TV listings,
> Remote Control) but I can't seem to get the sound working through
> MythTV. What's really strange to me is that if I run:
>
> dd if=/dev/video0 of=/dev/video16 bs=64k
>
> Through an SSH terminal while at the main MythTV screen, I can hear my
> audio (if I shut down X and run the appropriate ivtvctl commands, I
> can see video to go with the audio). But If I select the "Watch TV"
> option in Myth, I get an error:
>
> Error opening audio device(), the error was: Illegal seek
>
> And I'm given to the option to watch TV without sound. Not very useful.
>
> Here's all the mentions of the word 'audio' in the last 350 lines of
> my syslog:
> [root at mythtv mythtv]# tail -n 300 /var/log/messages | grep audio
> Nov 15 16:03:26 mythtv kernel: tveeprom: audio processor = MSP4448
> (type = 1b)
> Nov 15 16:03:28 mythtv kernel: ivtv0: Allocate DMA encoder PCM audio
> stream: 455 x 4608 buffers (2048KB total)
> Nov 15 16:03:35 mythtv kernel: cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_audio_thread
> Nov 15 16:03:35 mythtv kernel: cx8800: Unknown symbol cx88_set_tvaudio
>

> I'm guessing it's related to the cx88_audio_thread stuff, but I could
> be wrong (it happens a lot :).

Jacob,

Do you have the ivtv aliases in your /etc/modprobe.conf file to fix
the potential problems with the kernel versions of the some of the
ivtv support drivers (will be fixed in the very latest versions of
ivtv and the kernel now that their changes have been incorporated in
2.6.15)? Also, are you wanting to use the PVR-350 for just TV output,
or do you want to run the whole X session on the PVR?

One way to brute force the problem (if it is due to the wrong drivers
being used for ivtv (the ivtv versions have the same names as the
kernel ones) is to temporarily remove the kernel versions and then
rerunning 'depmod -a'

Nick