[mythtv-users] nVidia and XvMC

Aran Cox spin667 at mchsi.com
Tue Nov 15 13:23:48 EST 2005

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 11:25:44AM -0600, William Lewis wrote:
> When I try to fire up watching live TV with XvMC hardware acceleration
> enabled, I get an X11 BadAlloc error with my nVidia 6200 TC and XOrg 6.8.2.
> I'm running a subversion branch with 0.18 fixes, and my system is
> configured with 2 HD-3000s and the latest NVIDIA x86-64 drivers.  The
> processor is an AMD Athlon 64 3200+, and I have 1 GB of ram in it.  When I
> disable the XvMC acceleration, it plays back, but it's very, very choppy,
> and the sound gives tons of prebuffering pause errors, or something like
> that.  xdpyinfo tells me that I have both XVideo and
> XVideo-MotionCompensation extensions available.  Anyone have any hints or
> additional configuration questions to help me out?  I'd appreciate it
> tremendously.

I think your machine is fast enough that you may not need XvMC...
and if you don't need it you might be happier without it.  I put up
with XvMC only because my AthlonXP 2100 can't cut it without it.  Try
disabling xvmc and enabling libmpeg2 decoding. (I think it's on the
same page in the playback settings.)  With mpeg2 decoding you should
be able to decode without chopiness, ymmv.