[mythtv-users] 18.1 frontend on OS X (localhost:6543 regardless of mysql.txt) *solved*

James Howison james at freelancepropaganda.com
Mon Nov 14 20:32:17 EST 2005

Thanks Chris,

On Nov 14, 2005, at 7:10 PM, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 06:11:35PM -0500, James Howison wrote:
>> It was asking for config where the
>> hostname="MinistryOfInformation.local" which is indeed my laptop.  As
>> an experiment I changed the "LocalHostName" in mysql.txt to "quahog"
>> which is the hostname of my backend.  Now the frontend seems to
>> communicate fine, the right theme comes up.
>
> Were there any records in the settings table for the long
> hostname?  If
> not then I'd suspect you have read-only access to the table and are
> not
> saving the settings after running through the first stage of the
> client
> configuration.

There were entries there.  Mysql permissions appear to be fine.

>> So now the question is how does the hostname stuff work, the
>> LocalHostName=backendname hack doesn't feel right.
>
> It's not right.  Myth usually uses the machines FQDN as the hostname
> value in the settings table.  There's a setting in the initial setup
> page that allows you to indicate that you want to use a specific
> client
> name.  It's intended as a way of working around dynamic hostnames for
> DHCP clients, but can also be used to force a shorter hostname.
> Really, all you need is a unique identifier.
>
> When you specified the backend as your hostname, all you really did
> was
> piggy-back on the existing configuration from the last time the
> mythfrontend software was run on the backend.  Down that path lies
> madness.
>
>> Should I delete
>> all the hostname="my laptop hostname" settings from the database?  Is
>> there a way to reset it, or should I do it manually? (This seems to
>> suggest that I shouldn't alter the database directly: http://
>> www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.15)
>
> The rule about never touching the database is more concerned with how
> the backend tracks the recordings.  It shouldn't hurt to clean out the
> settings table manually.  Just make sure you only delete the frontend
> settings (the ones that have a hostname) and leave the backend
> settings
> (the ones with no hostname) alone.

This was the key.  My MasterServerIP was set with a hostname (the
hostname of the backend), once I made the hostname NULL for the
MasterServerIP everything works fine.  I deleted all the entries for
my laptop, and the ~/.mythtv folder, and restarted the
MythFrontend.app, this time everything worked as expected; once I
specified the database location and the language I was able to
control Myth fine.  Checking the database showed that the entries
under my laptops FQDN were fine.

To re-confirm I changed the hostname for the MasterServerIP back to
quahog and the behaviour returned to the original frustrations.  Can
anyone confirm that the MasterServerIP ought to have NULL as
hostname?  If that is the case then I'll investigate mythtv-setup on
Knoppmyth R5A22 and see if it is erroneously setting it to the
hostname of the backend.

Thanks again,
James