[mythtv-users] hdtv tuner card + pundit-r

Henry Fleischmann henry at fishcasa.com
Sat Nov 12 23:27:05 EST 2005

Robert May wrote:
> So I'm leaning towards building a MythTV system in a Pundit-r case.
> I'd like to get an HDTV tuner (preferably the HD-3000) but , from what
> I understand, the space in these boxes is a little tight.  Is there a
> HDTV tuner card that fits in this case better than another.  Also a
> silly question, but, the HD tuners can record stuff that isn't being
> broadcast in HD, right?  Have these qustion been addressed on this
> list before (I'm gonna guess they have)?  I can't quite figured out
> how to search the archive, just browse them.
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

I haven't seen a HD-3000 card but putting the second PVR250 into my
pundit-r required minor modifications to the case which I feel
compromised rigidity of the case. Also, I've found that the S-video out
is nowhere near as good as it should be and I ended up having to use the
component out, which the quality is goo on but sort of defeats the
purpose of having S-video. This might be fixed in future ATI driver
versions or could be a setup problem but I spent a lot of time on it
before giving up. This may not be an issue if you plan to use the DVI
port, I haven't tried it. Also, the digital audio port is inside the
door in the front so if you want to use it, you ruin the aesthetics of
the case.

Otherwise the system works well but if I was buying new, I would choose
something else.

--
Henry