[mythtv-users] recommended joysticks or gamepads for xmame and mythgame

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Sat Nov 12 23:14:26 EST 2005

On Friday 11 November 2005 3:21 pm, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Tim Hamer wrote:
> > logitech usb wireless rumblepads work great right out of the box (just
> > not the rumble). on ebay for <$20, but are kinda bulky
> >
> > Frank Lynch wrote:
> >> I was wondering if someone could recommend a set of gamepads or
> >> joysticks that work well with xmame and mythgame?
> >> I would love to use a pair of wireless gamepads if thats possible. Are
> >> there any gotcha's tips or tricks that I should be aware of. Are there
> >> any issues to be aware of, or do most/all joypads work well under FC4?
>

> I'm about to try some wireless xbox controllers under Gentoo via this
> adapter:
>     http://www.xpcgear.com/xboxusbadapter.html
>
> And this kernel module:
> % modinfo xpad
> author:         Marko Friedemann <mfr at bmx-chemnitz.de>
> license:        GPL
> vermagic:       2.6.13-gentoo SMP preempt 586 gcc-3.3
> depends:        usbcore
> alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic58isc42ip00*
>
> I'll let the list know how it turns out later tonight.

I'm happy to report that these work great. However, I had to patch snes9x
to get it to recognize:

a.) the axis for either the analog joystick or the digital crosshair pad.
b.) the threshold for both

I also patched a few other minor annoyances. I'll be happy to share my
patches if anyone is interested. The axis part of the patch is based on
Reboot's patch found here:
    http://reboot.animeirc.de/contributions/snes9x.patch

I also turned on joystick support in MythTV itself and I found that wireless
X-Box controllers make fabulous remote controls! I may shelve my PVR 350's
remote and forget my desire to buy an RF remote instead. The only problem with
the X-Box controller as a remote is that:

a.) The buttons have to be learned. They aren't labeled.
b.) No access to ir-exec or similar, as far as I can tell.
c.) no numeric keys, so I have to resort to my IR remote or wireless keyboard
    when using MythMusic. (that's a minor UI problem, in my opinion)

But the controller's range is excellent and the response is much faster than
with LIRC.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin