[mythtv-users] xorg high cpu usage while playing video in mythtv

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 17:46:14 EST 2005

I've noticed relatively high processor usage by xorg when playing back
previously recorded video.  To play back a 480x480 resolution rtjpeg
recording, xorg take 40% processor time.  To play back a 384x480 video
it takes about 33%.  This is on top of the normal usage by
mythfrontend.  Mythfrontend takes about 13% to play back the recording.
Mythbackend takes about 35-30% to record a 480x480 stream.  It seems to
me, it should take a lot more power to record something using software
encoding like I am than to actually play it back.  I must be missing
hardware acceleration for the video playback, I'm guessing.  I'm using a
radeon9600pro with the vga hooked directly up to the vga input of an lcd
TV.  So the TV is acting like a monitor.  Thing is, I have the
proprietary ATI fglrz drivers installed.  But since I'm not really using
any of the functions of this driver, like opengl or TVout, maybe there
is a better driver I could install that could accelerate this 2D
video.... Anyone know what a normal amount for xorg to be using during
playback is, and if mine is abnormally high what are some methods I can
use to get that back down to a manageable 10-15%?
Thanks in advance.
Raphael