[mythtv-users] pchdtv3000 svideo input w/Dish HD?

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 20:29:02 EST 2005

The DVI output by most HDTV sources is copy protected. It isn't encrypted,
per se, but the reciever and monitor go through an authentication dance
before the reciever will send a signal to the monitor. By monitor, I mean
DVI-HDCP (or HDMI it's the same thing) capable TV. One side effect of this
is that most computer monitors with DVI inputs will not work with an HDTV
cable/satelitte box with a DVI output.

In summary, there is no way to capture the digital output of an HDTV
decorder box with running afoul of the IP police state, and capturing an
analog TV signal presents significant technological hurdles.