[mythtv-users] major and minor numbers for Compro DVB-T300?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 19:59:32 EST 2005

On 11/11/05, Greg Vickers <daehenoc at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've found that the modules saa7134 & saa7134-dvb don't have any rules in udev, so the /dev directories and character devices are not listed. I tried to copy the stuff from /dev/.static/dvb, (at least this changed the error message in mythtv-setup to 'unknown device' rather than 'permission denied', since the groups were wrong on the old .static stuff) So I am wondering if anyone knows what the major and minor numbers for a Philips SAA7134 based Compro DVB-T300 are please? (Australian PAL model)

DVB has the major number 212. As for the minor numbers, I'm not sure
how they are decided - in one machine I have:

[mythtv at sbe ~]$ ll /dev/dvb/adapter0/
total 0
crw-rw----  1 root root 212, 4 Nov 11 23:33 demux0
crw-rw----  1 root root 212, 5 Nov 11 23:33 dvr0
crw-rw----  1 root root 212, 3 Nov 11 23:33 frontend0
crw-rw----  1 root root 212, 7 Nov 11 23:33 net0
[mythtv at sbe ~]$ ll /dev/dvb/adapter1/
total 0
crw-rw----  1 root root 212, 68 Nov 11 23:33 demux0
crw-rw----  1 root root 212, 69 Nov 11 23:33 dvr0
crw-rw----  1 root root 212, 67 Nov 11 23:33 frontend0
crw-rw----  1 root root 212, 71 Nov 11 23:33 net0

There is a rule for creating the individual device minor numbers
relative to each other (check http://dl.bytesex.org/misc/dvb-devices)
but as to which base number to use I don't know. I'd be tempted to
start from 0 and create the nodes using mknod  (like the numbering for
my adapter0 above), and then see if it works.

Nick