[mythtv-users] pchdtv3000 svideo input w/Dish HD?

Chris Trown ctrown at safe-mail.net
Fri Nov 11 11:40:57 EST 2005

Chris Trown wrote:
> Robert Denier wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 13:53 -0600, James C. Dastrup wrote:
>>
>>> <I'm reading up on all this hdtv stuff so I can drool about it.
>>> <I've read that only terrestrial hdtv is available for linux, but
>>> <I'm not about to invest money in an antennae. I've got Dish
>>> <currently, and I don't plan to go hybrid.
>>> <
>>

>> The only thing I can think of that might capture HD signals from say a
>> component video connection would be a very high end data aquisition
>> card, or perhaps three data aquisition cards, one for each signal.  If
>> for instance you used national instruments boards you could possibly
>> synchronize three of the pci boards with the rtsi bus.  Of course the
>> boards alone are likely to cost several thousand or more.  You would
>> probably also need a very high end computer.  Windows XP and Labview
>> would likely make it easier initially.  I suspect one might also need a
>> raid drive configuration to handle saving raw uncompressed HD
>> information.
>>
>> At any rate, I suspect if someone wanted to capture HD component video
>> that it is doable, if you wanted to throw enough money and time at it.
>> Some basic electrical engineering knowledge would be a plus as well.
>>
>> The interesting trick is, whether or not it would be possible to
>> compress it down to mpeg2 in real time using todays cpu's.  I honestly
>> don't know, but I suspect the answer is yes.
>>
>> I suppose the moral is, that somethings are amusing to ponder doing, but
>> until someone makes a card/chipset specifically for capturing HD I doubt
>> it is going to be cost effective for an average consumer.
>>

>      Should'nt it be easier than that?  DVI/HDMI is all digital, no?
> Would it not be just question of reading the data then writing it to
> disk?  I have'nt seen a component HD set for sale at Costco/Worst
> Buy/Circuit City in a while now.
>
>      Dish 942 receivers have HDMI while the 811 has DVI.  I think the
> old 921 did as well.  Dunno about DTV.  Probably a similar story.
>
>      Seems a lot easier to me.  But then I'm not an electrical engineer.

      Replying to my own email.  Heh...

      What about these cards:

http://www.foresightimaging.com/PRODUCTS/hdp/accustream170.htm

http://www.unigraf.fi/files/products/ufg-01.pdf

      This was from a quick Google search.  No idea as to cost.

Chris...

--
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -- Benjamin