[mythtv-users] Proliant server as a backend...

Asher Schaffer freedenizen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 21:30:48 EST 2005

On 11/10/05, Pete Clarke <pete at devilincarnate.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
> Proliant 8500r
> Quad PIII Xeon 700/2MB CPU's
> 2GB Ram;
> 2 x 1000SX Fiber NIC;
> 1 x Dual 10/100 backup NIC
> 4 x 73GB U160 SCSI drives, RAID (0/1/5);
> 2 x PVR250 PAL Tuners;

The PVR250 I have will only fit in a 32Bit PCI slot, it isn't keyed
for the 64Bit slots (the 64Bit slot has another keyed position near
the front of the card).  The PVR500 I have is keyed for a 64bit slot
however and works fine in one.

I have a Dell poweredge server with 1 3Ghz Xeon, 1GB of DDR2, 4x300GB
SATA drives, 1PVR250, 1PVR500, and a  gigabit NIC.  In terms of what
you are using it for, it is way overpowered.  Are you planning on
transcoding? that is the only thing that you might ever need that much
horsepower for.  Even commflagging in realtime shouldn't take that
much, an epia can keep up with it, and the most commflagging you will
be doing is 2 at a time unless you plan on adding more cards in the
future.

If you want to cut back the spec, you could reduce the memory, and cut
back to 2 processors.  As for HD space, it isn't that much space, but
you did mention you have 1TB on fiber, so that shouldn't be an issue.