[mythtv-users] TV out card for frontend

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 22:30:17 EST 2005

Bob wrote:

> Devan Lippman wrote:
>
>> Shopping for a new tv-out for my frontend and came across this at a
>> very reasonable price: JATON Geforce4 MX440 Video-198PCI-64TV Video Card
>> I was thinking about it though and this probably will not do any
>> hardware decoding for video?  It does however have a PCI interface
>> with svideo and composite outputs.  From what I hear the overscan
>> adjustments work well on the geforce 4.  Can anyone think of a reason
>> not to get this and suggest a better alternative, kepping in mind
>> that it must be PCI?
>
> I have a couple of AGP (old fan free ELSA Gladiac 511, underclocked
> from 200Mhz to 50) versions of this card and they both work well, (I
> belive they have MPEG2 assist through XvMC but I don't have DVD
> playback working and my V4L card captures strait to MPEG4 so I have no
> way of checking ATM) I think it's the last generation of Nvidia chips
> that don't have the TV encoder on GPU meaning they have a separate
> Conexant BT869 encoder chip which I belive is the best, other than a
> PVR350 or Hollywood+ / Xcard (the last 2 don't work with MythTV
> anyway) the only thing is if you ever go HD or put capture cards in
> the FE (obviously it's not just a FE at that point) you may start
> running out of PCI bandwidth, particularly if IDE and LAN are on the
> PCI bus as well.

Doh, I miss read your post, actually my card is a nVidia Geforce2 MX400
which I think ebay will provide for next to no money, look at the photos
and check it's got an svideo out and a passive heat sync.

--
tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 34132, rev = J158,
tveeprom: tuner = Philips FM1236 MK3 (idx = 58, type = 4)