[mythtv-users] pchdtv3000 svideo input w/Dish HD?

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Thu Nov 10 15:21:57 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 13:53 -0600, James C. Dastrup wrote:
> <I'm reading up on all this hdtv stuff so I can drool about it.
> <I've read that only terrestrial hdtv is available for linux, but
> <I'm not about to invest money in an antennae. I've got Dish
> <currently, and I don't plan to go hybrid.
> <

The only thing I can think of that might capture HD signals from say a
component video connection would be a very high end data aquisition
card, or perhaps three data aquisition cards, one for each signal.  If
for instance you used national instruments boards you could possibly
synchronize three of the pci boards with the rtsi bus.  Of course the
boards alone are likely to cost several thousand or more.  You would
probably also need a very high end computer.  Windows XP and Labview
would likely make it easier initially.  I suspect one might also need a
raid drive configuration to handle saving raw uncompressed HD
information.

At any rate, I suspect if someone wanted to capture HD component video
that it is doable, if you wanted to throw enough money and time at it.
Some basic electrical engineering knowledge would be a plus as well.

The interesting trick is, whether or not it would be possible to
compress it down to mpeg2 in real time using todays cpu's.  I honestly
don't know, but I suspect the answer is yes.

I suppose the moral is, that somethings are amusing to ponder doing, but
until someone makes a card/chipset specifically for capturing HD I doubt
it is going to be cost effective for an average consumer.

-Robert