AW: [mythtv-users] Is gentoo the way to go?

Fredrik Karlsson dargosch at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 04:05:17 EST 2005

However...

I used the test script found here
http://www.xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/sultra_skami.html

on the Mobile Pentium 4 1600 MHz with Gentoo installed. THe script
completed in 17 seconds , with some apps running. Comparing this to
other reports, my 1600 MHz with Gentoo on it is as good as a  Athlon
XP 2600+ (Barton), 1900MHz with RedHat 8 on it, and  one second faster
than a Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.80GHz with Debian on it.

I'm not saying that this is a true test of performance (I believe that
there is no such thing), but  at least in this case, the "myth" does
seem to have SOME merit. I should add that I have not spent lots of
time configuring stuff for speed, only a healty set of USE settings
and compiling for pentium 3 with -O3. No pre-linking (that I know of).

I should perhaps also add that these numbers mean absolutelly NOTHING
on a MythTV box. In my experience, HD speed is the bottleneck.. I use
the laptop for scientific calculations,  and that is a totally
different story. MythTV ( and even more so IVTV ) users should choose
Gentoo beacause of the flexibility of Portage.

/Fredrik