[mythtv-users] USB on the cable box

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 01:39:12 EST 2005

> So, presumably, you want to hook up a usb-to-serial cable from your PC
> serial port to the usb port of the cable box. The issue is that the
> cable box expects to be the usb host and so does a PC, whereas the
> keyboard is the usb "client". I'm not sure how a usb-to-serial adapter
> presents itself to another usb host, but if it's only designed to work
> with usb clients, I'd guess that a driver would have to be written to
> emulate a usb client through the serial port, if it's even possible.

The PC expects to be a usb host if you plug a USB device into it. a
Usb->serial adapter will only look like a usb device on the usb side -
the serial side will look like nothing but a serial cable. If the cable box
is
designed to be the usb host and will take incoming commands from a
usb->serial
adapter, it sounds like it will work (I will be trying the same thing on my
satellite
STB once I get my usb->serial adapter in the mail).

That would be ideal, and would certainly be an inexpensive option. The
> only box I came across that actually says it emulates a usb kbd from
> either usb or serial connection to the PC host is a couple hundred
> bucks.
>
> I'll look into how it works, but a "port" converter may just connect the
> wires correctly to allow communications.

yeah, if the port converter works, that's def the way to go. It's around $9
or $10 for
one of those converters if you shop around online.