[mythtv-users] TV out card for frontend

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 19:28:52 EST 2005

On 09/11/05, Devan Lippman <devan.lippman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Shopping for a new tv-out for my frontend and came across this at a very
> reasonable price: JATON Geforce4 MX440 Video-198PCI-64TV Video Card
> I was thinking about it though and this probably will not do any hardware
> decoding for video?  It does however have a PCI interface with svideo and
> composite outputs.  From what I hear the overscan adjustments work well on
> the geforce 4.  Can anyone think of a reason not to get this and suggest a
> better alternative, kepping in mind that it must be PCI?

The GF4 card will almost positively have MPEG2 acceleration provided
in the NVidia driver. I wouldn't go the expense of getting a PVR-350
or super-fast PCI video card just for working TV-Out. I think that
HDTV requires more CPU power rather than faster video card. (HDTV to
launch in 2006 here in the UK so no direct experience)